Thursday, July 15, 2010

Watermelon Agua Fresca


Do you ever cut up a watermelon and wonder how in the world your family will eat it all? This is my solution. I save half a sliced watermelon for my family to eat, and with the other half I make my favorite summertime drink! This is a popular drink in Mexico, sold commonly by street vendors. Agua fresca means "fresh water". Fresh indeed, and great for summer bbq's!

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Watermelon, seeded and cut into a large cubes
  • 4 small limes, juiced
  • Sprite or Ginger Ale, to taste

In several batches, fill a blender to the top with watermelon and pour in sprite until half way full. Puree until the watermelon is liquid. Strain the juice into a pitcher *I pour the juice through a small sieve first, and then again through a very fine sieve that only lets liquid through. I have pulp issues. Repeat until all the watermelon is used up. Add the lime juice to the pitcher and then fill the rest of the way full with sprite, if desired. You shouldn't need any extra sugar...the soda and melon should add enough sweetness on it's own. Chill and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment